The Penguins have had legendary lines in hockey. In recent history, the fabled HBK line carried the Penguins to their 4th Stanley Cup Championship; more recently the Sid and Kids (I hate that name) line has been on fire and can feasibly carry the Pens to their 5th franchise title.
What lines have been the best for the Penguins? Let's dig and see. All stats 5 on 5 unless mentioned otherwise.
With injuries this year it been tough to keep lines together but what lines has Sullivan kept together the longest?
(edit: The top line together is the Duck's Cogliano / Kessler / Silverfberg with 831 mins)
- Rust / Sheary / Crosby - 202 mins
- Bonino / Kessel / Hagelin - 207 mins
- Malkin / Kessel / Kunitz - 200 mins
Which lines have hammered in the most shots for the NHL-leading Pens?
- Crosby / Hornqvist / Hagelin - 64.09% (FF/60) Fenwick For per 60 mins (shot attempted - blocked shots / 60 mins)
- Crosby / Sheary / Hagelin - 54.84%
- Hagelin / Malkin / Hornqvist - 54.32%
Which lines have drawn the most penalites? (Penalties Drawn - Penalites Taken)
- Cullen / Fehr / Wilson - +8
- Bonino / Kessel / Hagelin - +5
- Guentzel / Crosby / Sheary - +5
Which line has had the most scoring chances?
- Crosby / Sheary / Guentzel - 40
- Crosby / Hornqvist / Sheary - 39
- Rust / Sheary / Crosby -38
Which line has been the "luckiest"? (PDO = Line's Shooting % + Opposing Goalie's Save %)
- Guentzel / Malkin / Hornqvist - 112.63
- Wilson / Rowney / Archibald - 110.72
- Malkin / Kessel / Hagelin - 110.35
Who have been our best powerplay forwards?
- Malkin / Kessel / Crosby - 28 PPG
- Kessel / Crosby / Hornqvist - 23 PPG
- Malkin / Kessel / Hornqvist - 20 PPG
Who has given up the most scoring chances? (per 60 mins)
- Wilson / Rowney / Archibald - 16.65
- Guentzel / Crosby / Kunitz - 14.88
- Bonino / Kessel / Kunitz - 13.62
Who has scored the most goals together? (all situations)
- Malkin / Kessel / Crosby - 30
- Hornqvist / Kessel / Crosby - 24
- Malkin / Hornqvist / Kessel - 20
Who has scored the most goals even-strength?
- Rust / Sheary / Crosby - 16
- Malkin / Kessel / Hagelin - 13
- Guentzel / Crosby / Sheary - 12
Who has the most goals together per 60 mins?
- Guentzel / Malkin / Hornqvist - 6.52
- Crosby / Hornqvist / Hagelin - 5.25
- Malkin / Kessel / Hagelin - 5.01
Who has the most goals for %? (goals for - goals against)
- Crosby / Sheary / Hagelin - 100%
- Malkin / Kessel / Hagelin - 86.67%
- Guentzel / Malkin / Hornqvist - 85.71%
There are all kinds of cool shit on fenicka.com to look at this data. If you had to look at all of this data the Crosby / Rust / Sheary line has been the most effective 5 on 5 this year but I think just the limited playing time of Crosby / Sheary / Guentzel prevented it from being the top line. The level of the Sid and Kids line (still hate it) they are playing at is crazy generating more scoring chances right now than anyone else.
Also, how low-key great is Hagelin? His stats might not reflect his impact on the team but it's undeniable that he generates chances for his teammates.
What's the best measure of a good line? Goals? Chances? Shots? Let me know!