This is another part in our series of the Pens Initiative NHL Trade Deadline Round Table. To view the other entries, click here. Today's entry: Spectors Hockey's Lyle Richardson
If you want trade rumors from a guy who is not just tossing darts on a dart board Spector is your guy. He took time of his busy schedule to talk with +Chris Barron about the +Pittsburgh Penguins needs for March 2nd's trade deadline.
1) What do you consider to be the Pens greatest need as the deadline approaches? Do they need to address more than one area for you to consider them a legitimate Cup contender?
- I think their biggest need is to get healthier. That being said, I think they need a veteran defenseman more than another top-six winger.
2) Rutherford doesn't have a lot of cap room to work with. ($791,000 as of this writing) If he is to address a perceived need, who do you view as a likely trade chip?
- That's tough, because he has to shed some salary or make a dollar-for-dollar swap. Maybe they move Robert Bortuzzo or Simon Despres. IAs I said, it's a tough call so it'll be interesting to see how Rutherford addresses this.
- I expect they'll go after a rental player.
a. Andrej Sekera, because Rutherford brought him to Carolina when he was Hurricanes GM
b. Jeff Petry. The Oilers could seek a young player and a draft pick or prospect.
c. Marek Zidlicky. The Devils will be dumping UFAs soon and could seek a draft pick or a prospect for Zidlicky.
4) What current rumor would you NOT like to see happen?
- Dion Phaneuf to the Kings for Mike Richards. Just a bad deal for both teams which makes no sense financially. If you're talking about the Penguins, acquiring Jaromir Jagr. I think that ship sailed a long, long time ago.
5) Who do you consider “untouchable” (prospect or otherwise) in a trade scenario this year?
- League-wise, Edmonton's Jordan Eberle. I just don't believe they'll move any of their young stars.
6) Imagine a scenario where the Penguins had around 10 million in space to play with; which player (or players) would you love to see on this team?
- I think Nail Yakupov would benefit from playing with Evgeni Malkin.